The all-new 2008 Chevrolet Malibu delivers great performance, fuel economy and refinement, wrapped in a clean, tailored design that carries the new face of Chevrolet. The new Malibu will be unveiled at the North American International Auto Show. It arrives at Chevrolet dealerships later this year.Â â€œThe 2008 Malibu rewrites Chevroletâ€™s midsize car strategy, offering a stylish, uncompromising package that stacks up against the most popular competitors,â€ said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager. â€œWe know the competition is very good, and this new Malibu has the goods â€“ both tangible and intangible â€“ to assert a leadership position in the segment and re-affirm Chevroletâ€™s commitment to expressive cars.â€
Indeed, the 2008 Malibu brings a fresh perspective and new proportions to the midsize segment. It is more than three inches (76 mm) longer than the current model, with a six-inch-longer (162 mm) wheelbase that delivers a poised, wheels-at-the-corners stance and helps provide a smoother, more direct driving experience. In fact, Malibu’s wheelbase is three inches (76 mm) longer than Toyota Camry.
â€œ Malibu is the car our customers have been looking for,â€ said Peper. â€œThere is more style and content on the new Malibu than any other competitor in the segment.â€
The new Malibu is offered in three well-equipped trim levels: LS, LT and LTZ â€“ all with standard head-curtain side air bags and front-seat thorax air bags, OnStar Gen 7 with remote diagnostics, and XM Satellite Radio. StabiliTrak electronic stability control is standard on LT and LTZ models.
Highlights of the redesigned 2008 Malibu include:
* All-new refined and contemporary exterior with new dual-port grille design that represents the new face of Chevrolet
* Twin round taillamps
* Upscale interior design with available two-tone trim; gauges with Chevrolet blue backlighting
* Standard head-curtain side air bags and front seat-mounted thorax protection air bags
* Available 110-volt household-type AC power outlet
* Refined and technically advanced family of economic DOHC powertrains, including a 2.4L Ecotec DOHC four-cylinder and a 3.6L DOHC V-6 with variable valve timing
* Fuel-saving six-speed automatic transmission available with both four-cylinder and V-6 engines â€“ a segment exclusive for four-cylinder engines
* Five-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty
* Four-wheel independent suspension and longer wheelbase that deliver a more controlled, satisfying and confident driving experience
* Family of large wheels, including 18-inch ultra-bright polished wheels on LTZ
* Available large, panoramic sunroof
* Standard tire pressure monitoring system
With its strong stance and bold proportions, the 2008 Malibu has a profile that reinforces its substantial feel. Clean, pure lines and wheels pushed to the corners, as well as a visually lower yet longer greenhouse and a shorter deck suggest motion, agility and attitude. The body sides are clean and elegant, interrupted only by distinctive, wheel-oriented forms that communicate an aggressive, stable stance and a rear profile that connects to Chevroletâ€™s rich performance heritage.
The Malibu’s dual-port grille is characteristic of the new face of Chevrolet cars and the twin round taillamps are Chevrolet cues, too, with LTZ models distinguished by front fog lamps and LED-lit taillamps. The design elements are complemented with precise details, including minimized panel gaps, a tight wheel-to-body relationship and select use of chrome trim. V-6 models also receive dual chrome exhaust outlets.
The interiorâ€™s attention to detail matches the Malibu’s exterior, with an ergonomic design using premium materials that convey quality and value, including a cast skin material on the instrument panel. The integrated, flowing instrument panel features a Chevrolet-signature dual-cockpit design, with prominent gauges backlit in blue, and metallic or wood grain accents.
The new Malibu has greater storage, too, with thoughtful features that maximize utility, including a deep center console with a sliding cover that opens to accommodate larger items. Also standard is an auxiliary in-dash storage compartment on the instrument panel for sunglasses, CDs and other items. An available rear power center provides a household-style 110-volt AC power outlet.
Safe and secure
The 2008 Malibu has a comprehensive roster of standard and available features that helps protect occupants before, during and after a crash. They include:
* Dual-stage frontal air bags with GM Passenger Sensing System
* Head curtain side-impact air bags (front and rear outboard seats)
* Front seat-mounted thorax protection air bags
* Front safety belt pretensioners
* LATCH child safety seat anchors
* Four-wheel disc brakes with ABS
* Traction control
* StabiliTrak electronic stability control system with panic brake assistance (LT and LTZ models)
* Tire pressure monitoring system
All 2008 Malibu models come with OnStar Gen 7, which features standard automatic crash notification service and OnStar Turn-by-Turn Navigation â€“ the first factory-installed, fully integrated GPS navigation system from OnStar.